I am THRILLED to announce that Ubuntu Cinnamon is now part of the Ubuntu flavor family.
This is such a milestone, not only for me personally, but also the Ubuntu community. The future is bright!
Four years of my life for this. I couldn’t be happier.
Ubuntu Cinnamon started as a small idea in my head, in 2019. I was ELEVEN. I didn’t think it would be easy, but I didn’t think it would be as challenging as it was. A lot of hurdles were overcome-but with this experience I spoke at FOSDEM 2022, got accepted to one of the best schools in the United States for Computer Science (~15% acceptance rate), and gained flavor status.
Defying SO many odds, defying the haters. I didn’t do it-we did it. This is not just me who made this happen. This is a community effort.
It does not matter who you are, your origin, family, religion, or age; you can do anything. Thank you everyone.
LETS MAKE 23.04 AWESOME!– Joshua Peisach, Lead Developer (https://twitter.com/ItzSwirlz/status/1640810106848792584)
So now what?
We make 23.04 the BEST release we EVER had. You can help by testing images that spin out, especially the beta image coming out by Thursday on the official Ubuntu ISO Quality Assurance Tracker (when the testcases for Ubuntu Cinnamon are created).
What will change?
For the most part, nothing! The user experience will continue to be the same, if not better. There will be more quality assurance, as the tracker is being setup, images are built daily and a lot of infrastructure is provided by Canonical.
For new developments in Ubuntu software (such as the new Flutter-based installer), Ubuntu Cinnamon will follow the Ubuntu Desktop’s footsteps too!
This could not have been done without the help of the community. From the bottom of my heart, I think the following (in no particular order):
- Erich Eickmeyer (Edubuntu + Ubuntu Studio Lead, Community Council)
- Lukasz Zemczak (Ubuntu Foundations, Technical Board)
- Steve Langasek (Ubuntu Technical Board)
- Alex Murray (Ubuntu Technical Board, Security Team)
- Fabio Fantoni (Debian Cinnamon Maintainer)
- Brian Murray (Ubuntu Foundations)
- Rudra Saraswat (Ubuntu Unity Lead)
- Aaron Prisk (Ubuntu Community Council)
- David Mohammed (Ubuntu Budgie Lead)
- Aaron Rainbolt (Ubuntu/Lubuntu)
- Rik Mills (Kubuntu Lead)
- Martin Wimpress (Ubuntu MATE Lead)
- Mauro Gaspari (Community Engineer)
- Arun Pyasi (UbuntuDDE Lead)
- Dan Simmons (Lubuntu)
- Sean Davis (Xubuntu Lead)
- Simon Quigley (Lubuntu Lead)
- Philipp Kewisch (Community Manager)
- Monica Madon (Ubuntu Community/MATE)
- Ínitu Castilhos (Yaru Cinnamon Theme)
- Paul Kepinski (Cinnamon support for Yaru)
- Radosław Błędowski (Ubuntu Cinnamon Logo Designer)
- Naveen Kharwar (Ubuntu Cinnamon Website)
- Joshua Park (Wallpapers, Discord)
- Samuel Ryklin (Discord)
- Robie Basak (Ubuntu Technical Board)
And probably many more I’ve forgotten.
Once again, thank you all so much.
Ubuntu Cinnamon Lead